Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Do you have test readers give you suggestions, or is your work 100% Steven James original with you as the only reader that needs satisfying?


Before I send in my manuscripts I will typically have four or five readers look it over and give me some feedback. With my crime novels I try to get (1) an FBI agent or a police officer, (2) a medical doctor, (3) a person familiar with the series, (4) a freelance editor, and (5) someone from my target audience who isn’t familiar with the series.

I will give them specific directions on what I’d like them to look for, then I take those into account as I work on the story. I usually send out the manuscripts to them before the end is fully pulled together, that way there’s still time for me to make changes.

The only other time I give something to readers is early on in the process when I need encouragement to keep going. At that point I know pretty much what the scene needs to accomplish, but I’m not fully committed to that specific wording and so on. Since I know I’ll still be going through that scene another dozen times or so, I just want to see if the scene is vivid, if the reader can see what’s happening.

6 comments:

  1. you are never going to have that job with the help of http://www.cheapproofreading.net/ so I really appreciate that you are doing bunch of business to guide the people that how they can help others to improve their personality in front of the panels through which they can get impressed and give us the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot in my mind and I will save my manuscript as well because that is my life time work with the help of http://www.companyprofilewriter.com/ to get my ideas online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be what you are and https://www.paperrewriter.com/ is always pushing the points and you to the limits that you need to be more professional and learn the uniqueness in the given points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes there are test readers when you go here and post your contents so they read all the content and approve as per the quality provided in the contents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ask different questions from the author then you can get the real structure of the life. Just come here and enjoy the really good thing of all the time. You can also see the link of www.sentencecorrector.biz/well-known-sentence-punctuation-corrector to catch more circles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes there are test readers when you go here and post your contents so they read all the content and approve as per the quality provided in the contents.

    ReplyDelete