Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How much should an aspiring writer write a day? Should he or she focus more on short stories or should they dedicate more time to a novel?

I have a sign up in my office: Perseverance + Perspective = Success. Basically, I believe that if you’re not  willing to work hard, you probably won’t (and don’t deserve to) find true success; and if you have your priorities out-of-whack, you won’t find it either. So for me, time-management boils down to evaluating what matters most and then working hard and sacrificing what I need to in order to accomplish that.

That said, it’s impossible for me to tell you how much time you should spend writing each day since I don’t know the other obligations and responsibilities you have. I will say, however, that if you have an already full life, and you’re planning on adding writing to the mix, something will need to give.

Personally, I don’t write every day. I write most days and, honestly, I’d say I don’t take enough days off from it, but I’m not the kind of person who would tell you that you need to write for an hour a day, or write a thousand words a day, or something arbitrary like that—especially if I don’t know what your life situation is right now. Look at your professional duties and your spiritual, relational, and physical health goals, then evaluate what you can eliminate or re-prioritize to pursue your writing.

As far as how to spend your writing time (the type of project you should work on) there are a number of factors to evaluate. A novel might take you 1000 to 1500 hours to write. Think about that—if you put in an hour a day you’re looking at three years or more of writing.

Also, with the publishing industry in flux, it seems that novellas and short stories are having a bit of a comeback (at least in e-book publishing). So I would say, only attempt a novel if you have a story that requires that many words to tell. If you can get by with writing it as a short story, go that route. Save yourself and your readers time.

If there’s any way you can do anything else other than writing, do it. If the stories are burning in your soul and you start to go crazy because you have to get them out, then do what you have to in order to give them birth. It’ll be a gift to yourself and to the world.

5 comments:

  1. Its quite effective and very informative for professional writer but for spellings checking www.spellingcheck.info/professional-spanish-spelling-and-grammar-check/ this is best place to visit as I am regular visitor of this link.Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thyroid is spreading like an epidemic and many articles are being shared on look here pages.I appreciate your efforts of sharing this topic online.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if writers try to follow such informative posts they can be much benefited out of this and I shall share this link with http://www.onlinerephrasing.com/ team members.Good to see this post.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4.  People love to hear about the novels as these are source of good entertainment by https://www.revisemypaper.net. This facility may be seen in big or short novels as all have its own weight age and recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just ask from the author and enjoy your life with the better phase. You can also get different things more good with this area and can read this post here in order to get that how to improve the writing power in the better way.

    ReplyDelete