Tuesday, September 11, 2012

How much time does the process take between the first ideas for a story and writing the first word of the actual novel on paper? How much time do you spend working on the idea before you start writing the book?

Artist Robert Motherwell once said, “When I'm thinking I'm working.”

Honestly, that’s the way it is for me. I have a hard time mentally shutting off my projects. I carry a notepad of some type (paper or computerized) with me nearly everywhere I go, and I jot ideas down as they come to me. It’s both a curse and a blessing. I couldn’t do what I do without the ideas, but sometimes I wish I wouldn’t have any more until I can use up the ones that are already overwhelming me.

Every idea is the genesis for another story or another scene. It’s really not possible to say when those seeds of stories actually become stories themselves. Every idea that I write down is, in essence, a work in progress.

I should note that not every idea is a good one. It’s important that writers acknowledge that and realize that most of the ideas they come up with will never be used. One of my biggest problems is differentiating between the ideas that are workable and the ones that really aren’t worth pursuing.

Every idea is a doorway and they all lead to something—usually more doorways. But sometimes you’ll find a doorway that opens to a room that becomes part of your eventual story. Every idea is, at the very least, a doorway to the next.

4 comments:

  1. There has actually a lot of time you will find for your work if you start from now but it depends on how you spend those. http://www.cheapparaphrasing.com/use-best-way-avoid-plagiarism-order-succeed/ to find out more helpful tips on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to find out the exact things in there, not the time fact. www.grammarcorrector.org/ which is really helpful for correcting grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The time is not that much important if the whole task is really going well. http://www.paraphrasecreator.com/ you can get your paraphrase within time .

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's really considerable time you will discover for the function should you begin with right now however it depends upon the way you invest individuals. click here for more information helpful suggestions upon composing.

    ReplyDelete