Thursday, May 15, 2014

Do You Use Beta Readers (extra pairs of eyes on your manuscript)?

My question for you is regarding 'beta readers.' I have found that as your story evolves as you write organically, minor things may change, and there may be inconsistencies that can be overlooked. Example, John Smith is a vegan. Later in the story, after several rewrites, he takes his wife out for BBQ dinner because it is pivotal to the newly written scene. While minor within the crux of the story, to the reader it would seem like a billboard (with them asking, how did the author miss this?).


So do you use beta readers? If so, how many are in your pool? And do you take their advice? Seems that everyone has an opinion of how they would have written the story. But I feel if I completely entertain their ideas, it is no longer my story.

This question brings several issues to mind for me—internal consistency, self-editing, and working with the advice of beta readers and editors.

First, you’re absolutely right that snags such as the one you listed regarding the vegan who ends up taking his wife out for BBQ would jar readers and knock them out of the story. As I edit scenes and shape new ones, I often find myself going back to make sure that I’ve tackled those kinds of glitches.

Still, mistakes can creep in. I remember one character who appeared in several of my Patrick Bowers novels being in his mid-seventies in one book and then about a decade younger in the next book. Oops. Since it was a mistake that spanned two books it was easier to miss. But still, astute readers might have noticed it if they read the books within a close time frame.

Second, self-editing. The first and most important eyes you will have on your manuscript are your own. Catching those minor glitches and mistakes is ultimately your job, no matter how many editors and readers you may have. To make sure I’ve caught those, I need to read through the whole book, usually in one day to make sure all of it is fresh in my mind.

With my latest suspense novel BLUR, I noticed that one character was listed as a wide receiver, and then later as a tight end. No readers or editors caught this and it was only on my final pass through the book that I noticed it. Don’t rely on anyone else to fact check. Readers will always blame you, and rightly so, if they find mistakes.

Finally, readers and editors. I do my best to take their comments and queries to heart, but I don’t make all the changes they suggest. Often they don’t realize that you’ve thought about the same idea months ago and discarded it because of the context or the movement of the story.

I usually give them a list of specific things I’d like them to look for in the book. For example, I give one copy to someone in law enforcement and have him look at the cop lingo, things like that. I usually choose someone to look at story flow, another at grammar, and so on.

This is your baby and, just like having a baby of your own, you’ll get lots of advice about how to raise it. In the end, you have to take all of it with a grain of salt and raise your child your way.

5 comments:

  1. You can find the beta readers section and can get the best reading techniques with this area. Just find your method with this great post and can find the new link of www.apostrophechecker.com/ and maintain the healthy life with this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can find the answers for the questions with this area of the writing stuff. You can also see the story telling with this structure. With the link of http://www.manualwriting.net/ you can ask different questions from the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An extra pair of beta covers is used for the protection of the hands. The beta rays have been dangerous for the health and www.nounchecker.com/ is visited for the certain information. The happiness of the man has been fixed for the overall good and vital parts for the covers of the beat for the human body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A zone of the beta readers where you can define the new manuscript and can manage the great section. With the nice deal of the story telling you can find more questions with www.bestcapstoneprojects.com and can ask the best author with the nice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is not just the work of beta reader a the good listener and reader can be a beta reader and can use this link to overcome the problems they have while reading the contents because there are a lot of people who do not understand the purpose of reading.

    ReplyDelete